Tag Archives: census

Australian Census Statistics on marriage and divorce 2016

Marriage is not for everyone. But for those that seek successful marriage and a fulfilling family life in which to raise healthy and happy children, functional families are seen as the bedrock of successful societies.

But whilst attempted by many, many fail.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics dated November 2016, there were 113,595 marriages registered Australia wide in 2015.

The number of marriages decreased in 2015 by 7,602 – down 6.3%. In 2011 there where 123,244 marriages, with 72% being a first marriage and 28% a remarriage, with the brides median aged 29 and grooms 34.

In the latest census data, the median age for women was 29.8 years and for men getting married was 31.8 years.

  • 81.1% of brides and 79.1% of grooms were marrying for the first time.
  • 16.3% of the marriages included one partner who had been married before.
  • Marriages where both partners had been married before were at 11.7%.
  • Couples who lived together prior to marriage accounted for 81%
  • 54.2% of couples married in 2015 were both born in Australia.
  • Out of the couples married in 2015 31.9% were born in different countries.
  • 13.9% were born in the same overseas country.

In the 2016 census data, 74.9% of wedding ceremonies were conducted by a marriage celebrant. In 2011, 73% of wedding ceremonies were conducted by a marriage celebrant, with the remaining 27% by a religious organisation.

The average length of marriage has increased from 10.7 years in 1993 to 12.1 years in 2015 with the median age of divorce females 42.9 and 47 for males. And remarriages do not fair much better, with a greater proportion more likely to divorce than those who had not been previously married.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 3.41.46 pm.png

Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.

Tune in for more tips next week… or contact me Shane Smith shane@intentional-relationship.com or @ http://www.workofheart.net.www.workofheart.net.au
More tips at Intentional-Relationship.com

Take the Couple Checkup

Take the Couple Checkup

Simply click on the Register button below relevant to your relationship – it couldn’t be easier. Once you have finished the questions you should receive your comprehensive personalised report in about 30 seconds.
Take the Couple Checkup

The Couple Checkup generates deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations restore insight and understanding about one another. The Couple Checkup can help to revive a relationship and increase intimacy.

The Couple Checkup is an online couple assessment based on the PREPARE/ENRICH couple inventories. The Checkup assessment and Checkup report are designed to go directly to couples at any stage of their relationship (dating, engaged or married). The online system allows for dynamic customization of the assessment to each couple based on how the couple answers background questions. The goal is for the Couple Checkup to reach a more diverse group of couples, to empower couples to deal with issues on their own and to emphasize prevention over remediation.

For more information on the use and analysis of the Couple Checkup or to simply use the tool, please contact: www.couplecheckup.com.au or call today (02) 9520 4049 #couplecheckup #strongerrelationships