Whilst Facebook is facing its own challenges regarding trust and compromise of customer data via the Cambridge Analytica scandal, concerns regarding this technology at a personal level are much more pervasive and can create difficult situations for couples involving emotional intimacy and fidelity. The ease of access to personal details is obvious but additionally is the ease at which private communication can take place including access and the sharing of intimate information and pornographic images. Facebook is increasing cited in divorce proceedings in both the US and UK.
Social media has changed the daily lives of couples by:
- How they stay in touch with others (and reconnect with people);
- The way couples make friends, how they find acquaintances and how others find partners by connecting with people anywhere in the world;
- How couples do business, how businesses connect to buyers and potential buyers;
- How they reveal themselves and share information;
- How couples allow their voice to be heard – to amplify a message; and
- How they learn.
Whilst most of the qualities that help sustain a good relationship have not changed – commitment, effective communication, constructive conflict and patience, honesty, forgiveness amongst others – there is strong evidence that couples are using these technologies to enhance their relationships. Both the opportunities and threats associated with the use of internet and mobile technologies including the stress associated with their use by couples must be understood and considered to ensure effective communication in all their life stages.
- Hampton, K.N., Rainie, L., Lu, W., Shin, I., & Purcell, K. (2014). “Social Media and the Cost of Caring.” Pew Research Center, Washington, DC. Available at: http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/01/15/social-media-and-stress/
More tips at Intentional-Relationship.com
Simply click on the Register button below relevant to your relationship – it couldn’t be easier. Once you have finished the questions you should receive your comprehensive personalised report in about 30 seconds.
The Couple Checkup generates deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations restore insight and understanding about one another. The Couple Checkup can help to revive a relationship and increase intimacy.
The Couple Checkup is an online couple assessment based on the PREPARE/ENRICH couple inventories. The Checkup assessment and Checkup report are designed to go directly to couples at any stage of their relationship (dating, engaged or married). The online system allows for dynamic customization of the assessment to each couple based on how the couple answers background questions. The goal is for the Couple Checkup to reach a more diverse group of couples, to empower couples to deal with issues on their own and to emphasize prevention over remediation.