Couple assessment is a critical component of most professions but professionals working with couples or families have often failed to take advantage of these assessments.
Usually provided online (like #PREPARE/ENRICH) the assessment tool identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas and based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills. The customised online assessment tool however is not without it’s pundits. This series of articles tackles some of the most common misconceptions.
- Because it is online, I have to administer the inventory in my office, on two computers.
- I will somehow lose personal contact with my couples if I have them take the inventory online.
- Using the online system is not as secure.
- I need to get recertified to use the new Customised Version.
Myth 1: Because it is online, I have to administer the inventory in my office, on two computers.
Answer: The vast majority of couples complete the inventory on their own computers and in their own time. Some even take PREPARE/ENRICH on their smart phones. They can each login separately and complete the inventory when they are ready.
- Meet with your couple(s) to discuss the PREPARE/ENRICH process.
- Get their first names and email addresses so you can set then up and allow the system to send their login information directly to the couple (See Myth 3 for more options to protect privacy). As you register your couple, a copy of the login information will also be sent to you.
- Give them the following reminders:
a. Be honest with your answers;
b. Work separately and don’t discuss your answers until after you have both completed the inventory;
c. Feel free to discuss the process and topics once you are both finished taking the inventory;
d. Important: This is not a “pass/fail” type of process. Your results won’t be used against you.
- Our research has shown no differences in overall results between couples who complete the inventory online at home versus couples who complete a paper/pencil version in a controlled setting. The crucial component for both sets of couples is simply being honest with their responses.
- Each time the inventory items are presented, they are in random order. This means each partner will respond to the items in a different sequence.
Tune in for myth 2 next week.
Contract: prepare-enrich.com.au or call today (02) 9520 4049
PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.